Tuesday, February 16, 2010

How do you choose a book?

I called the book store from which I have ordered Tatiana And Alexander about a week ago, and guess what? They're sorry they haven't called me yet, because they found out they didn't have the book any longer.

WHAT?!

I hate Murphy law! What am I supposed to do now? Well, apparently, I still have three other options;
* To look for the book in another book store.
* To order the book from another book store, in case they didn't have it.
* To wait for this summer, when I might get a chance to visit London again, who knows? I might find it in one of London's book stores, right?



And for this posts' topic, how do you choose a book?
Throughout my-not-so-long career as a book lover I have tried many ways for choosing a book, ones I have found to be very much efficient, others less effective.

1. When I have just discovered that reading books appeals a lot to me I started looking for some book reviews in some Internet pages (I still do that, frankly)
Actually I bought my 1st book after I came across a review at a web page. By looking for some book reviews, you can expose yourself to an overwhelming amount of books.

2. I used to get some books from relatives and friends, I cannot say that it's my favorite way to choose a book to read, I mean, no one is better than yourself to pick a book for you to read. It's a nice gesture, I do not complain but in my opinion a book is something that is going to leave an impact on you, something that is going to accompany you in your spare time, and I have had some bad experiences with books I got as a gift.
Books I have chosen this way:
My Sisters' Keeper - Jodi Picoult
The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown
Prep - Curtis Sittenfeld
The Island - Victoria Hislop

3. A way I use a lot to select a book, is to look for some new movies. When I hear about a movie that is based on a bestseller book I like to check the book first. It has became an obsession of my own, because I like to brake the myth that people usually prefer watching a movie instead of reading the book that the movie is based on.
Books I have chosen this way:
The Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger
Girl With A Pearl Earring - Tracy Chevalier
Revolutionary Road - Richard Yates

4. Reading tasks. When I was still a high school student (Wow, I write it as if some decades have passed since my senior year! Which was in 2009!!!) teachers have used to decide which book students must read for a reading assignment. From my experience, this way does not work, I never finished a book I was obligated to read. I guess it's derived from the fact that I hate being told what to do.
Books I have "chosen" this way:
The Turn Of The Screw - Henry James
Pride And Prejudice - Jane Austen

5. A way that has never let me down, is to go to a book store/library and simply, to pick whatever I like, it's my personal favorite way because this is how I got to read The Bronze Horseman, which is a book I will never be able to get over its' characters and plot, it's a book I will never quit re-reading at night.
Books I have chosen this way:
The Bronze Horseman - Paullina Simons
The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold
Message In A Bottle - Nicholas Sparks
The Notebook - Nicholas Sparks

Now, it's your turn, how do you choose a book?
Have a great day,
Love,
Khulood

7 comments:

  1. Well, this is a fun question. I am a bit older then you, so there has been a lot of all sorts of reading already, but it has never been boring! I had reading phases in my life, when I grew up in East Germany I read everything foreign I could get my hands on. At this time mostly Russian, Scandinavian, French and English writers. Classics mostly, since everything else was censored.
    When I was 24 when I reached Western shores of Germany and started to read all books I had been craving and had heard of, lot's of contemporary German writers, still the ones I loved and a lot of art work, since I studied at this time and had two children. So I got into children's literature. Again, fairy tales from all over the world, Astrid Lindgren from Sweden, Enid Blyton from England. American books were not so much on my radar then.
    Later I moved to New York and I learned to speak and read English, now I love to read everything I could not read before in the original language. I had two more children and again became engulfed in children's books. It's still stunnes me, that I can read Jane Austen or Dickens, or Harry Potter, or the American writers from Whitman to Kerouac, to J.S.Foer.
    I am in a book club, so I read much more then would possibly choose for myself, but this is a great challenge and I have discovered many great writers I had never heard of before, Anne Taylor or Jonathan Franzen. Philip Roth. But some I simply one day discover and never stop loving: Luise Erdrich!
    I choose sometimes at the bookstore while browsing, I read a little if the dustjacket makes me curious, I'll read it. I love great covers, so I look around, I read the New York Times Book Review every week and now try to keep up with European writers of the next generation. It never ends...

    Also, I started reading letters and that leads to more.
    I like to hang on to a time period and right now it's the time after the Second WW! It started with the 'Guernsey Potato Peel Pie Society' and led to Helene Hanff and to more letters.

    I often post on the book I am reading or what's new in my bookshelf, so come and see!



    XX
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS: Check it out:
    http://www.amazon.com/Tatiana-Alexander-Paullina-Simons/dp/0007118899

    Have fun!
    V.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really inspired by your life, you've had quite a journey!
    WOW, so many authors! I'm going to check them out.
    Well, right now, I'm quite obsessed with post WWII books as well, actually THE BRONZE HORSEMAN is a trilogy against the backdrop of the WWII and the time after its ending.

    Oh, be sure I will!

    God,this book has been on my Amazon wish-list for over a month now... But I'm afraid it couldn't be shipped to my country. Do you have an idea if they deliver all over the world?

    Thanks for your comment(s)!
    Love,
    Khulood

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found out they do Deliver! There's still hope!

    Thanks again Victoria!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are welcome!
    I am glad you can get the book!
    I'll check out 'The bronze Horseman'.

    Have a lovely weekend!

    XX
    V.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi ,
    Really great tips .
    Book reviews are very critical to our choices . They could change our opinion about a book in big ways .

    Check out mine :

    http://whatbeyondme.blogspot.com/2010/04/choosing-books-is-no-longer-dilemma.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Got on your blog via facebook (in particular, Paullina Simon's fan page) and wanted to say that you write very well!
    And off course I'm on the same wave about The bronze horseman! :-)

    Usually I choose books by picking them up in the library (as happened for TBH, actually I think the book choose me) or by reading opinions on website (amazon f.e.).
    Sometimes I pick up a book that has been a best seller only if the story kind of interests me.
    I rarely listen to recommendations: there a few people that I trust on recommendations and I follow them.

    Since I'm starting to run out of book shelves in my house I have started to borrow more and more from my local library. If I happen to like a book I borrowed I might buy it as well!

    Cheers!
    Evelina from Italy

    ReplyDelete