Thursday, May 6, 2010

Another last page was turned... A Song In The Daylight

"Nothing is what it seems..."

O God. What a book.

I really don't believe some hated it. I do understand hardly caring for the main character, but hating the book? What for? It was so... Shocking? Outrageous? Heartbreaking? Heart wrenching? Yeah!
Please allow me to unload what is weighing on my shoulder concerning the self-absorbed Larissa Stark. A woman that isn't a wife, not a friend, nor a mother. A woman who thinks only for herself and does only what's good for her. (I do have my doubts about whether it was good for her what she did) Remarkable, a mother who is ready to give up on her family, her loving husband, her adorable kids, her friends, in order to collect few of her belongings, to hop on her lover's Ducati with him driving it, to press herself to his back and to runaway with him to find adventures and excitement.

In the first half of the book I was actually rooting for Larissa, thinking, "what the heck, she's following her heart. Her husband is so mundane, her kids are too annoying, her friends are self-concerned... She deserves to be happy."
I hate myself for thinking this way, and luckily the second half of the book came to prove me wrong, came to slap me for thinking Larissa was right. She was so wrong!

I don't think fate brought Larissa and Kai (her lover) together, they met as people meet, obviously Larissa doesn't sit all day at her house, she does go out, she meets people. Yes, she found Kai to be quite attractive, it's not unremarkable to meet someone who is good looking.
It was her lack of judgment that led her to commit adultery and eventually have an affair with Kai...
It wasn't an impossible bond they had with each other, it wasn't some magical power, or irresistible passion they had from the very beginning, at least it wasn't like that with Larissa. I honestly don't think you meet someone and immediately you want to go to bed with him, it's a process, a process Larissa never cared to cut or stop for the sake of her family and life. And that's what she did wrong, she would've stopped everything had she said, "Kai, I have a husband and three kids. It's not right."
But no! She had to have lunches with him, she had to sit with him in her car, she had to go to his apartment with him.
I might be talking nonsense, I'm still a child with no experience whatsoever, but I do believe fate had nothing to do with what happened to Larissa, it was the consequences of her acts and, yeah, sins.

In the end, they all got what they deserved. Larissa got what she deserved. What she did to her family, what she did to her husband came around like a boomerang and punched her right in her pretty face.
Her husband got over his wife's betrayal. Her kids... I'm pretty sure they are still waiting for her to come back... But they will eventually stop waiting.


I still need to do some thinking over this book. Hmm...
Have a great day.
Love,
Khulood <3

2 comments:

  1. Hi Khulood, just wanted to come by and see how you are doing...
    Just posted a long book list, perhaps you want to have a look?
    Hope your weekend is a delight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Vic, it's been a while! :) I'm doing really good, how about you?

    Just saw the post, great one!

    My weekend is a blast, my cousin's wedding was yesterday, we had a great time :D

    ReplyDelete