Sunday, April 18, 2010

Death

It's funny how death takes over. One moment you feel like it's light years ahead of you, you have eternity ahead for you, a whole life.
But in one moment in life someone close dies, you feel the angel of death so close, a wall separating between you and him, and your lower lip begins to tremble.
My aunt (Uncle's wife) passed away this morning, at 1:30 AM. We were hardly close, but it was the death I felt mostly connected to, for I saw her daily, we lived in the same building. And now she's gone.
She has survived breast cancer, leukemia, and many arguments with her youngest son but the myeloma crushed her completely. She's been dying for the last ten days, and today God collected her soul to rest in heavens.

For the first time in my life, I saw someone dead, I honestly thought I was going to freak out, but she was so serene and calm, as if any moment she was going to open her eyes and smile at us. Her sister told us she had had a dream a couple of nights ago, my grandmother, grandfather and several other people no longer between the living were having a party, they were preparing the meat an it was as if it's a holiday.
She said maybe they were preparing her a feast when she joins them.

My mother once told me of a dream her relative had when my Grandmother (Mother's mom) was dying. He saw my Mother's father sitting on a chair, and a woman was laying her head on his legs. He asked my grandfather who was the woman and the answer was "My wife." the man asked whether it was my grandfather's first wife who died many years ago.
"No, she's Zubaida," grandfather answered.
"What are you talking about? Zubaida is in bed." The man asked in wonder.
Grandfather laughed, "She's been with me a whole year now."
My grandmother was diagnosed with lungs cancer a year before the dream.
She passed away six moths later.

May God rest their souls in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment