Saturday, March 6, 2010

The Bronze Horseman trilogy - My journey

In one of her interviews, Paullina Simons has revealed how she first thought of writing this book; It was night, she could not sleep. While staring through her window she all of a sudden saw the two of them - Tatiana and Alexander; she was staring up at him and he was glancing down at her - for he was extremely tall. They were very much in love, and they were starving.

While reading these three books I was constantly thinking what am I going to write when sitting to prepare my review of these books, and honestly now, after I have finished The Summer Garden cannot word my thoughts, however, I am going to try to sum up this journey, for it was long, heartbreaking and beautiful.
Beginning with the fantastic characters; Tatiana on the one hand - so young and freckled, small and blond with the deep ocean green eyes. She is surrounded by a halo of joy and immortal youth.
And we have Alexander on the other hand - Dark and tall (vera tall!!!) with a striking look and presence, Creme Brulee eyes. Strong and manly, simply any females' fantasy guy.
They meet, on the fateful very first day of the Nazi invasion to the Soviet Union, on June 22, 1941. Despite all the obstacles and all the horrible things these two go through their love grows deeper and stronger.
From the very start, and obviously without any warnings you are brutally drawn to the plot, becoming obsessed with the characters and having absolutely nothing else to do but to root and cheer for these two lovers.
A book is measured by the impacts it's left on you, and here I am, a very simple example of an obsessed and addicted fan of this author and this trilogy in particular. I'm now left with a journal FULL of quotes from the three books, FULL of my thoughts and opinion of this trilogy. I'm going to admit - I was skeptical at the beginning, thinking The Bronze Horseman was going to be just another book I will read and eventually put on my bookshelf next to other books I've read, and how was I wrong! Even now, after finishing the third book I'm still unable to let go of Tatiana and Alexander.
It's amazing how a book can change you and what you believe in, I personally never really showed any desire or interest in learning about WWII, but this book has made me want to study and read about this war.
It's amazing how you can be convinced, simply hooked by the believe that a character you've read about in a book might be real. For how could Alexander not exist?!?! For how could my precious Tania have been only a vision? That idea is simply absurd, having Shura and Tatia simply as two characters in a book, I feel like I've known them my whole life!
The Bronze Horseman has made me want to visit Russia, a country I have never showed any interest in, I want to visit St. Petersburg, to walk through the Summer Garden, in The Field of Mars, I want to buy a crème brulée ice cream, to sit on a bench waiting on a bus, to cross and uncross my legs all dressed in a white dress with red dancing roses and green smiling leaves, to hum: "We'll meet again in Lvov, my love and I..." and I want to raise my glance to notice an officer staring at me from across the street...

Obsessed.
The Bronze Horseman has opened my eyes and convinced me of finding a true love, now after reading this book I have realised that a true love has been laying in front of my eyes my whole life, the love my parents share for one another, a love that continued to stand force against the cruelty of fate and life.
Baba, Mama, may God bless you with his never ending grace and love.

Leningrad, the white nights of this city, fifth Soviet, The Fields of Mars, St. Isaac's cathedral, The Summer Garden, Lazarevo, Luga, Morozovo Hospital, The Neva, The Kama, Lake Ladoga, The Bronze Horseman sculpture...
All these are going to accompany me day after day for the rest of my life...

And now, two names are added to the list of people I owe them my life:
Paullina Simons: For giving us, her devoted readers the opportunity to fall in love with her amazing characters, and to hope for a love as great as the one our beloved Tania and Shura has.

And to that young fella who introduced me to this book, and begged me in that crowded bookstore to read it "It's the most beautiful historical love story you'll read." He said, and how was he right!


Do yourself a favor, go pick these books from the nearest bookstore, you will not regret it.
Have a great day/night (It's night over here...)

XOXO

6 comments:

  1. Oh, sweet obsession of reading! Isn't it wonderful?
    I have added a small group of book blogs on my blog list, do have a look at them, you might find inspiration there!
    And because you are so interested in Russia, do read Tolstoi, Dostojewski and Turgeniew. These are some of the great Russian classic writers, some to help you understand the Russian soul!

    There is also a movie coming out - 'The last station' - about Tolstoi and his wife, I am certain it is a great one.

    XX
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh it is wonderful! though my family thinks I'm a bit overreacting, "It's just a book..." ¬_¬
    Great! I'll check them out! I'm really curious in what books you prefer to read. I'm craving to read War And Peace and Anna Karenina, but I'm a bit anxious I won't be able to finish these LONG books... Oh well, I ought to at least give it a try.

    Have a wonderful day
    Khulood

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I take it one page at the time and so get through thick volumes.... :D
    And one cannot overreact enough for books.....

    Anyway, did you ever hear of E.M. Delafield? She was an English writer at the beginning of the Twentiest century and wrote wonderful books, one of them about a young man who came back from the great WW I and becomes a teacher at a presticious boarding school. It is the most touching and dramatic story. It has been made into a wonderful movie too. I recommend it highly to you. I gave it to my son, who spend two years at an English boarding school and he devoured it! (He is 20 now)
    I am reading 'Let The Great World Spin' right now for my book club. Very interesting, well written but also tough, since it is not absolutely up my reading alley...I'll let you know, how I feel about it when I am done. For pleasure I am reading Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Tomas Hardy and Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier right now!

    Have a lovely weekend, come on over to visit again!

    XX
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot to mention the title
    'To Serve Them All My Days' by R.F. Delderfield

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Serve_Them_All_My_Days

    Sorry I made a booboo before with the name. Mixed it with E.M. Delafield, another British writer ...

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._M._Delafield

    XX
    V.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah I think when reading thick volumes it's good to set "easy" targets for yourself, for example to say "First I'll finish 200 pages and I'll see after that..." you'll read 1000 pages without noticing.
    The book sounds very interesting, I'll check it out... Hmfff... You know usually when book isn't really my "ally" as you said, I don't finish it, I find it extremely difficult reading a book I'm not quite fond with.

    Have a great weekend too,
    Khulood.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved your post on TBH! I feel the same way. However, I find myself seeking another book that will give me a similar feeling. have you read anything you recommend, Khulood? Thanks!

    Sirena

    ReplyDelete